Tuesday 18 February 2014

Researching for other people: Southall, Gittus

What follows is some research that I did back in April 2003.  I had helped someone across the pond with their research simply because their ancestors had lived next door to my ancestors years ago.  The journey through their family tree, rather strangely, lead me to finding that some of their ancestors had the same surnames as mine.  I never found a connection between the two though.

I am posting because I am trying to get over Mytreeitus (self diagnosis after listening to Ron Tanner's Rootstech 2014 speech).  Ron explained that when people keep research to themselves (for whatever reason) it runs the risk of work being duplicated.  There is little point in these will transcriptions being hidden away in my files as there may well be someone else out there researching the people mentioned in them.  Also, I don't believe that this information is available online yet.

The transcripts that follow were taken from Birmingham Library Archive transcripts in 2003.

=======================================================
Clara Southall

This is the last will and testament of me Clara Southall of 13 Wattis Road, Bearwood in the County of Stafford Widow. I appoint George Gittus of 143 Gillott Road, Edgbaston in the City of Birmingham Builder and my son Arthur Southall of Winson Green Road in the said City of Birmingham Gas Meter Inspector Executors and Trustees of this my will. I devise and bequeth all my estate both real and personal unto the said George Gittus and Arthur Southall upon trust to convert the same into money and after payment of my debts funeral and testamentary expenses to divide the proceeds equally between the survivors of my children the said Arthur Southall, Mrs Eliza Ann Roche, George Henry Southall, Agnes May Southall and Thomas Southall and the issue of such children as may have died in my life time such issue to take equally among them per stirpes the share or shares which their parents or respective parents would have taken if living at my decease. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this 30 day of September one thousand nine hundred and twenty one.

Clara Southall

Signed by the said Clara Southall in the presence of us present at the same time who in her presence at her request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses.

C W Holcroft Solicitor )77 Colmore Row Birmingham
A T Morrison )

Proved at Birmingham 28 March 1929

The Will Index showed the effects as
Effects £3751 6s 7d
Resworn £4551 6s 7d
====================================================

Clara's husband's will follows:

George Henry Southall

This is the last will and testament of me George Henry Southall of no 119 Aberdeen Street Birmingham in the County of Warwick Grocer. First I direct the payment of all my just debts funeral and testamentary expenses and subject there to I give devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate and effects of which I may be possessed of at the time of my decease or over which I may have a disposing power and wheresoever situate unto my dear wife Clara Southall and I hereby appoint my said wife sole executrix of this my will. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and name this first day of December One Thousand Eight Hundred and Ninety One.
George Henry Southall
Signed and acknowledge by the said testator George Henry Southall as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses.

Joshua Howell - Solicitor Birmingham
Sidney Stuart Memzies - Clerk to Mr Joshua Howell

On the 7 day of September 1921 probate of this will was granted at Birmingham to Clara Southall widow the sole executrix.

Will Index showed the effects as
Effects £1596 16s

Trade directories show that George Henry Southall was at Aberdeen Street 119 and later 44 from 1884 to 1921.
=====================================================

George Gittus

This is the last will and testament of me George Gittus of 143 Gillott Road in the City of Birmingham retired Builder. First I direct the payment of all my just debts funeral and testamentary expenses including estate duty on my real & personal property by my executors hereinafternamed I appoint my sons William George Gittus and Arthur Archibald Gittus (herein after called "My Trustees") Executors and Trustees of this my will I devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate upon my trustees upon trust to pay the income thereof to my wife Elizabeth Isobel Gittus during her life and after her decease in trust to sell the same by public auction or private contract and after payment of all expenses to divide the proceeds equally between my two sons the said William George Gittus and Arthur Archibald Gittus and in case only one of them shall be living at the time of my said wifes death then my remaining son shall take the whole of my estate absolutely. And I declare that my trustees shall be at liberty to let or devise my real and personal property from year to year or for any form of years at such rent and subject to such covenants and conditions as they shall think fit to accept surrenders of leases and tenancies and expend money in repairs and improvements and general to manage the property according to their absolute discretion and I further declare that the powers of appointing new trustees confirmed by statute shall for the purposes of this my will be vested in my said wife during her life. In witness whereof I have to this my last will set my hand this seventh day of January One Thousand Nine Hundred and Twenty One.

George Gittus

Signed by the testator George Gittus as and for his last will and testament in the presence us who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have here unto subscribed our names as witnesses.

William Thomas Gaunt no occupation 12 Laxey Road Edgbaston

Sidney Edwin Edmonds toolmaker 12 Laxey Road Edgbaston

On the 27 July 1929 probate of this will was granted at Birmingham
=====================================================

Here is a link to part of the family tree I put together for this family group. 







No comments:

Post a Comment